Any property, whether residential or commercial, should be adequately insulated for many reasons. Roofs are by far the most insulated part of a property, and for commercial buildings, there’s a lot more to cover than residential ones.
Commercial buildings are larger in square footage compared to residential homes, so roofing should be able to support the extra weight and size of the building. Since these properties cover more extensive square footage, they require more maintenance, such as quality insulation.
The science behind insulation is simple: heat can be transferred via radiation, convection, or conduction, and all materials allow heat to pass through them. Insulation materials help dial down the amount of heat that can flow through a wall, floor, or ceiling by providing resistance to either heat transfer mode.
Why is Insulation Important in Commercial Roofing?
- Prolonged roof lifespan- Proper insulation can prevent roof damage in multiple ways, and this is always good news for commercial building managers. Insulation helps reduce temperature fluctuations your roof has to experience as the weather changes. Commercial roofing can last 10 to 40 years, depending on the roof type and materials used. Think of roofing insulation as another barrier against harsh weather conditions, so it also helps prolong the roof’s performance.
- Lower energy costs- Given the Philippine climate, air conditioning units are necessary in any commercial establishment, and it’s challenging to maintain a comfortable temperature in a building without proper insulation installed. This means that your HVAC system will work harder to cool the area, resulting in higher electric bills and a heftier price tag on HVAC maintenance. A well-insulated building will need little additional heating or cooling, saving more energy and an energy-efficient building is always good for the environment.
- Thermal comfort- The Philippines has a humid equatorial climate characterized by high temperatures, mainly in the summer, and heavy rainfall, particularly during the typhoon season. Proper roofing insulation can help lock in air to maintain a constant ambient temperature inside the building all year round. Whether you are maintaining an office building or a warehouse, it’s essential that employees have a safe and comfortable environment to operate within.
- Reduced noise- Noise control is an important aspect of any modern-day business. Soundproofing the ceilings, walls, and floors is practical for disturbance-free operations. Commercial soundproofing comes in many forms. If you share a building with other businesses, ceiling or roof insulation is the most practical way to reduce noise and ensure high productivity, no matter what industry you are operating in.
Factors to Consider Before Choosing Roof Insulation
- Exposure– Is your building located where it gets a lot of exposure from the sun every day? In that case, you might need thicker insulation for your roof to ensure that you get ample and proper insulation for your establishment. Rising temperatures due to global warming and climate change must also be considered when choosing commercial roof insulation.
- Type of insulation– There are plenty of roof insulation options out there, such as cellular glass, gypsum board, perlite, polyurethane, polystyrene, and wood fiber, which is one of the most common types of roof insulation used.
- Roofing material: Insulation materials must be retrofitted to your commercial property’s roof. So, you must select the one that can give you the best thermal performance for the building’s indoor environment. A long-span roof is an excellent option for commercial buildings. Long-span roof price in the Philippines varies on their size and what material they are made of, but those made of steel are the most popular.
- Budget– Your budget will ultimately determine what type of insulation will your commercial property get. Be strategic and choose the most durable option for your building. If you are unsure, you can always consult roofing experts for advice.
Insulation Options from Union Galvasteel Corporation
Your roof and its insulation will serve as a working platform over the course of the establishment’s lifetime, so investing in good insulation roof panels is an investment every business should make. Lucky for contractors, developers, and commercial property owners, Union Galvasteel Corporation is here to help you every step of the way.
As a pioneer in manufacturing galvanized sheets for roofing applications in the Philippines, UGC offers a wide array of products, including durable, robust, and energy-efficient insulation panels suited for construction projects in the country.
UGC offers its Duratherm, which comes in two options. There’s the Duratherm Roofing PU Panel that’s perfect for soundproofing purposes. This insulated roof panel gives the needed insulating performance in a “one-material” package with dual purposes: roof with insulation. It’s also easier to install than buying and building from separate roofing and insulated panel products. This insulation panel has a USDA-approved coating with a solar reflectance index of 72.
There’s also the Standard insulation panel, in two (2) types, Polyurethane (PUR) or Polyisocyanurate (PIR) where the foam forms a solid bond to the outer skin, resulting in a more robust panel. You can also use Standard PU panels on walls and partitions in your building.
Every commercial building has its unique factors. As a commercial building owner or a facility manager, you hold an integral duty to know what roofing insulation solution best works for your property to increase its roof lifespan and even the building’s return on investment.
UGC is available all around the Philippines for your roofing needs. Want to know about the roofing materials price list? Get in touch with our roofing experts by visiting our website. You can also reach us at our trunkline (02) 8520-8822 or our customer service numbers 09175033965 (Globe) or 09190032302 (Smart) if you have roofing questions or want a sample quotation of our products and services.