How a house looks inside and out shows the kind of people who live in it. If your house looks dirty and messy, people may perceive that you are too. Sometimes, a simple repainting is what it takes to make your home look brand new. Just in time for the New Year, perhaps you want to give your house’s wall a makeover by giving it fresh, new paint.
There are different types of paints available in the market. Getting the right one for your walls may be confusing if you are not familiar with them. Don’t be overwhelmed by these different types as we are here to give guide you.
Paint primer is the first layer of coat you apply on your wall’s surface. When painted over a new, unpainted surface, it gives protection to the material underneath. It also prepares the surface for the next layers of paint, creating a smooth canvass.
Water-based oil-based paints
Pains are classified based on their main ingredients, with the two most common being water and oil. Water-based paint is less durable than oil-based paint, so it is ideal to use on surfaces that are not commonly touched, like walls and ceilings. An advantage of water-based paint is that its color remains stable over time. It doesn’t fade or turn yellow quickly, even when exposed to sunlight.
Oil-based paint can be used on many types of surfaces, and they are known for being durable and giving a rich finish to your walls. Being durable, they are ideal for parts of your house that are often touched, like doors and floors.
You may hear other types of paint, like latex, acrylic, or enamel, but they often fall under the two main categories. Choosing between the two would depend on different factors, like the surface where you will apply them. Since we are talking about walls, water-based paint is recommended.
Another thing to consider aside from the type of paint is the finish. Finish refers to the paint’s sheen or gloss. Flat paint is the least shiny among all kinds of finishes. It is also considered to be the least durable. Matte is another finish that may look similar to flat, but it has a little bit of gloss and is more durable. An eggshell finish provides more glass than the two earlier finishes. Its sheen makes it easy to clean. Satin is a bit glossier than an eggshell finish, but they are almost similar in all other aspects. Then there are semi-gloss and gloss paints, which have the most sheen. They are known for their durability, and because of their gloss, they are also very easy to clean. The shine they add to surfaces brings a sophisticated vibe, but they are not good at hiding imperfections.
Now that you know the different types of paint, we may now proceed with painting your walls. Here are simple steps to follow.
- Prepare the area where you will paint. Be sure to cover sockets, floors, and surfaces where you don’t want the paint to be.
- Prepare the surface to be painted. This requires cleaning the surface so that paint will latch on better. Also, fix imperfections like holes and cracks by using fillers and then sanding over it. Imperfections may be noticeable, especially if you’ll be using gloss paint. If your surface is already painted, you can remove old paint or leave it be, but most would recommend removing it. It can be time-consuming, however.
- Prime your wall. Priming is important, especially if you are painting over a dark wall with lighter-colored paint. You may use a brush or a roller to do the painting. Two or three coats of primer may be required. Wait for the primer to dry before proceeding to the next step.
- Paint your wall. Use your preferred paint type, finish, and color. Be sure to follow the instructions that come with the paint. You may not immediately see the outcome that you wanted on the first coating. So you need to do 2 or 3 layers depending on how deep you want the color to be.
- Wait for your paint to dry. How quickly the paint will dry depends on the type of paint you used and the weather condition. Sometimes, it may take overnight. Be sure to have a “Wet Paint” sign so people will not accidentally touch your newly-painted walls.
Now that your walls are newly painted, your home will indeed have that brand-new vibe that makes your home cozy. It’s a great way to start the new year.
Painting your walls is just one of the ways to give your house a fresh look. Perhaps you may also want to give your roof a makeover.
If you want to skip out on all the hassle of repainting your roof, Union Galvasteel Corporation (UGC) offers roofing materials that are already painted for your convenience.
Being one of the Philippines’ top roofing manufacturer, you are sure that we only deliver quality that is sure to last you a very long time and they come in different profiles and colors and the metal thickness of your choice, from 0.40mm-0.60mm. Surely, you can find one that fits your home’s overall design.
To know more about or roofing products, get in touch with us via our website or call these numbers for assistance: (02) 8520-8823; 8520-8831; (049) 545-0084 to 86 or 09175033965 (Globe) and 09190032303 (Smart).